Last Updated: June 25, 2018
1. Information Collection
We may collect both personal information (such as, your name, address and email) and non-personal information related to you and your use of the Services in the following ways:
A. Information you provide to us directly.
- Website Forms and Newsletters – You may be asked to provide personal information to us when you sign up for newsletters, fill out online forms, make a donation, or provide feedback on the Services.
- Surveys – From time to time, we, along with our Service Providers may conduct online surveys, polls or other similar interactive activities on topics related to our programs or the Services. If you choose to participate in such a survey or a contest, you may be asked to provide personal information. Participation in these surveys is completely voluntary.
- Contests and Special Offers – TPF collects personal information, such as your name and email, from you when you participate in contests or special offers.
B. Information collected from your use of the Services.
- Google Analytics - Web traffic tracking and analytics. Learn more at https://www.google.com/policies/privacy/, and to opt out, visit http://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
- Google Tag Manager - Web traffic tracking. Learn more at https://support.google.com/tagmanager/answer/6102821, and to opt out, visit https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/7519794.
- AddThis – Social media bookmarking service. Learn more at http://www.addthis.com/privacy, and to opt out, visit the DAA opt-out program (currently available at http://www.aboutads.info/choices/) or the NAI opt out program (currently available at http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices/).
- Cloudflare – Content delivery and security. Learn more at https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/articles/200170156-What-does-the-Cloudflare-cfduid-cookie-do-
- Local Storage Objects and Advertising – We may use Local Storage Objects (“LSOs”), such as HTML5, to store content information and preferences. Service Providers with which we engage to provide certain features on our website and Services or to display advertising based upon your web browsing activity use LSOs such as HTML5 or Flash to collect and store information. Various browsers may offer their own management tools for removing HTML5 LSOs.
2. How We Use the Information Collected
We may use the information collected from you to:
- communicate with you, including to respond to your inquiries and provide information you request from us.
- send you email newsletters, mailings, and other information about programs, initiatives, and events.
- communicate with you about other products, programs or services that we believe may be of interest to you.
- provide, maintain, and improve the Services, including research and analytics regarding users of the Services and usage patterns.
- administer and protect the Services, including to detect, investigate, and prevent activities that may violate our policies or be illegal.
- enforce the legal terms that govern your use of our Services, and/or for the purposes for which you provided the Information.
We will only use your personal information for the purposes for which we collected it, unless we reasonably determine that we need to use it for another reason that is compatible with the original purpose(s) and/or as required or permitted by law.
3. With Whom We Share Information Collected
We may disclose your personal information to Service Providers who may use the information to perform services on our behalf, such as website hosting, information technology services, analytics, subscription fulfillment, and data management, and also in some cases, so they can provide, improve and communicate with you about their own products and services.
We may use or disclose your personal data as we deem necessary or appropriate under applicable laws; to respond to requests from public, governmental, and regulatory authorities; to comply with court orders, litigation procedures, and other legal processes; to obtain legal remedies or limit our damages; and to protect the rights, safety, or property of our employees, you, or others.
If we merge with or are acquired by another organization or entity, or assign all or part of our Services to another organization or entity, we may disclose and transfer your personal information to the party or parties involved in the transaction as part of that transaction.
We also may share information in an aggregated manner with third parties and such third parties may further share such aggregated non-personally identifiable information further in connection with their own marketing, products, and services.
If you no longer wish to receive our newsletter or other email communications from us, you may opt out of receiving these communications by following the “unsubscribe” instructions at the bottom of each email or by changing the settings in your account, as applicable.
From time to time, it may be necessary for us to send out service-related announcements. For example, if one of our Services is temporarily suspended for maintenance, we might send users an email notice regarding the suspension. Generally, users may not opt out of these communications.
5. Blogs and Community Forums
Our Services may offer publicly accessible blogs, community forums or other public areas where users may submit information and content. You should be aware that any information you provide in these areas may be read, collected, and used by others who access them. To request removal of your personal information from a blog or community forum, contact us as noted above. In some cases, we may not be able to remove your personal information, in which case we will let you know if we are unable to do so.
6. Third-Party Links
7. Policy Regarding Children
The Services are directed solely at adults. If you are under the age of thirteen (or if being a “minor” is defined as a younger age in your relevant jurisdiction, that relevant age), please do not provide us with any of your personal information, including your email address.
We have put in place reasonable physical, electronic, and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online. However, no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure. Therefore, we cannot guarantee its absolute security.
9. Updating and Deleting Personal Information; Data Retention
We retain your personal data only for as long as is necessary for our legitimate interests, in accordance with our retention policies, and in accordance with applicable laws.
If you would like to request to review, correct, restrict or delete personal information that you have previously provided to us, object to the processing of personal information, or if you would like to request to receive an electronic copy of your personal information for purposes of transmitting it to another company (to the extent this right to data portability is provided to you by applicable law), you may contact us at the email address below. We will respond to your request consistent with applicable law.
10. Users from Outside the United States
Unless otherwise specified, the Services are operated and controlled by TPF in the United States. By using the Services, you (a) acknowledge that your information will be processed as described in the Policy; and (b) consent to having your information transferred to the Foundation and/or our third party service providers, in the United States or elsewhere, as described in the Policy.
If you are an EU national and reside in the EU, or are a non-EU national residing in the EU, we will transfer your personal data to the United States in accordance with EU data protection law requirements and/or by using standard contractual clauses that have been approved by the European Commission. Such a transfer may also take place with your explicit consent and/or if necessary in order to perform a contract with you or fulfill your request.
11. Your California Privacy Rights
Pursuant to California Civil Code Section 1798.83, a California resident who has provided personal information to a business with whom he/she has established a business relationship has the right to request certain information regarding the disclosure of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please write us at the email address provided below.
- The Poetry Foundation
- 61 West Superior
- Chicago, IL 60654